INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
When getting married, you can choose to have a symbolic wedding or a legally binding wedding. Please review below the specific requirements for each one.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR CIVIL/LEGAL CEREMONIES
The Bride & Groom must NOT be legally married in order to qualify for our civil ceremony. If they are already married, only a Symbolic wedding or Vow Renewal ceremony can be performed. Bride & Groom must arrive three (3) business days, Monday – Friday, (four (4) if going to Cozumel) prior to ceremony and must be at the resort by (12:00 PM) or earlier in order to consider day of arrival as the first day.
One half months before your wedding date(please submit via email to your wedding planner):
- Copy of Birth Certificates(certified copy of each one) to be translated into Spanish at on property at an extra cost.
- Copy of your passport
- If divorced, a certified copy of Divorce Decree in Spanish to be translated on property at an extra cost. If divorced more than once, please bring each Divorce Decree which is to be translated on property at an extra cost.
- Legal documentation of adoption or name change (If applicable)*
- Certified copy of former spouse’s Death Certificate (If applicable)*
Upon your arrival:
- Home address and occupations (Bride & Groom)
- Valid passport
- Tourist ID Card (Provided by customs upon your arrival at Cancun International Airport). Please be sure to complete all information correctly on tourist ID, otherwise you may need to obtain a new Tourist ID at the Airport. Names on Tourist ID, divorce decree, birth certificates and Passport MUST be the same. Please be advised that the civil registry department will take the exact names reflected on the Bride and Grooms passport to generate the marriage certificate.
- Blood test (To determine Blood type, H.I.V and S.T.D). Tests must be taken at the resort and results are ready within 24 hours. (Fee of approx. $50.00 USD per person is included in the administrative/government fee) (Fee of approximately $84.00 USD for Isla Mujeres only is included in the administrative/government fee). If test is positive a special release must be signed by couple in order to proceed with the ceremony. (Does not apply to Playacar, Cozumel and Isla Mujeres, if test is positive wedding cannot be performed). Results will be delivered directly to the justice of the peace office.
- If divorced less than one year, a mandatory pregnancy test must be taken at the Resort($15.00 USD approx). If test is positive, wedding cannot be performed.
Four witnesses and their details: name, age, nationality, home address, occupation, passport and tourist ID. Witnesses must arrive three (3) business days Monday – Friday (four (4) if going to Cozumel) prior to ceremony. Witnesses must be 18 years or older. If witnesses are not available, Palace Resorts will provide them at no additional cost.
NOTE: Important-If the Bride or Groom’s nationality is Mexican, additional documents are required. Please advise your wedding coordinator at least 3 months in advance. Names on Tourist ID, divorce decree and Passport MUST be the same, including spelling.
Please note that Birth Certificates, Divorce Decrees, Death Certificates, adoption and name change documents become the property of the State of Quintana Roo, Mexico. A Marriage Certificate is provided by the State of Quintana Roo, Mexico for civil ceremonies, this is a legal document issued in Spanish.
All wedding couples must contact their local court house for filing requirements. Every state/country is different when it comes to filing of foreign marriage documents. Some states/countries require the certificates to be translated from Spanish to English others may require additional paper work to be filed. This is the couples’ responsibility and Palace Resorts is not liable for any additional charges that may be associated according to the state/country’s requirements on supplementary paperwork.
Ceremony cannot be performed unless all documents are in order. (NO EXCEPTIONS). All documents with the exception of passports become the property of the State of Quintana Roo, Mexico. Documents are accepted in Spanish with translations done on site by a certified translator at an additional cost. Cost may vary depending on number of pages per document. Translations take up to three(3) business days.
DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR SYMBOLIC/ VOW RENEWAL CEREMONIES
Symbolic weddings are not legally binding ceremonies. It is the responsibility of the couple to get legally married in their home town whether it’s pre/post travel. Bride & Groom must arrive two (2) business days, Monday – Friday, (three (3) if going to Cozumel) business days prior to ceremony and must be at the resort by (12:00 PM) or earlier in order to consider day of arrival as the first day.
Upon your arrival:
- Valid passport
- Tourist ID Card (Provided by customs upon your arrival at Cancun International Airport).
- Administrative / Government fees of $460 USD will be applied to all civil ceremonies performed by a justice of the peace in addition to package cost. Translation fees for documents will be charged at the resort according to documents and number of pages.
- Complimentary Package does not apply if requested onsite.
- Depending on selection of requested flowers, additional costs may apply. Please note our onsite flower selection highly depends on the time of year as well as our weekly imports received. Certain flowers may not be available.
- Couples will be able to open their Bridal Registry once the wedding has been confirmed. Within the Registry, couples may choose from flowers and wedding décor or tours, golf and spa treatments for the celebration to follow. Couples will be able to provide their bridal registry link to all their guests. Couples may also personalize their own weding site uploading their engagement pictures, favorite songs and much more.
- Wedding cake included in the collections is for 30 persons. Each additional person will be charged a fee.
- An additional charge will apply for extra chairs and linens.
- In case of inclement weather, fireworks presentation will not be extended. No credits will be adjusted.
- Four bottles of champagne are included in all Wedding Collections.
- Musician’s selection is subject to availability.
- Décor included in the wedding collections will be extended exclusively for the ceremony.
- Photography packages are ready within 72 hours (includes weekends).
- Upon check-in couples are required to proceed towards the Honeymoon desk in order to reconfirm their honeymoon package amenities.
- No personal checks will be accepted at the resort.
- All items will be non-refundable if cancelled 30 days prior to ceremony.
- Same sex weddings only available at adult only/couples only properties
- If you wish to work with a non palace wedding planner, you will be required to assign her as “primary contact” of your account handled with your Palace Resorts wedding planner. All matters would go through him/her.